Oregon Coast to Kentucky WITH NO FLAT TIRES!
August 13, 2019 3:36 PM   Subscribe

Oregon Coast to Kentucky WITH NO FLAT TIRES!
The online journal of my recently-completed bicycle tour from Bandon, Oregon to Henderson, Kentucky: 3,245 miles over forty days.
Role: Rider/Writer/Photographer
posted by JeffL (13 comments total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I enjoyed the entries I read! For those of us who may not have time to go through the entire journal, any particular highlights we should check out?
posted by roger ackroyd at 2:33 PM on August 14

I enjoyed the entries I read! For those of us who may not have time to go through the entire journal, any particular highlights we should check out?

Thanks! I think in general that the photos are probably more interesting than the writing (if you're interested in seeing the same quirky stuff as I am), but here are a few entries that might be mildly entertaining

Surprisingly cold for the first day of summer... and unusual lodging at the end of the day

Wedding Camp

The longest day, including a couple of wildlife encounters

Scariest bridge, and least favorite town of the entire trip
posted by JeffL at 5:43 PM on August 14

Lovely! Just started my reading...

Also, I like to poke around on crazyguyonabike for vicarious adventures and I didn't know about cycleblaze for journals etc -- looking forward to reading your journal and others!
posted by mochapickle at 1:34 PM on August 15

Jeff, your epic journey journal entries are always so great. I am about 1/4 the way through and recognize a bunch of places in Oregon (including the anti-bike weirdos near Crater Lake).

What did you use to shoot photos, just your phone or something like a pocket point and shoot?
posted by mathowie at 2:52 PM on August 15

Jeff, your epic journey journal entries are always so great. I am about 1/4 the way through and recognize a bunch of places in Oregon (including the anti-bike weirdos near Crater Lake).

What did you use to shoot photos, just your phone or something like a pocket point and shoot?

Hey, thanks Matt. I used a Canon EOS Rebel SL1, the smallest/lightest Canon DSLR. I carried it in my handlebar bag. I've never been able to do much which smartphone cameras - I feel like I need an actual viewfinder.

I really enjoyed riding in Oregon on this trip - the route I followed was much more remote than I've done in the state in the past, with some low-traffic and extremely scenic portions.
posted by JeffL at 5:30 PM on August 15

Also, I like to poke around on crazyguyonabike for vicarious adventures and I didn't know about cycleblaze for journals etc -- looking forward to reading your journal and others!

Thanks. Crazyguyonabike remains an awesome resource, but in the last few years, unfortunately, many long-time members were either kicked off, or quit, after the site's creator went off the deep end and turned into a MAGA-hat-wearing, Trump-loving, white nationalist type. It's a shame, because the site has so much great content created over the years. Hopefully it won't all disappear if/when its mercurial owner moves on to something else.
posted by JeffL at 7:11 AM on August 17

Ugh, I didn't know! I hadn't been on for a while. So glad there are alternate resources out there....
posted by mochapickle at 8:57 AM on August 17

This is wonderful, Jeff! Love the photos! Did you publish the route on the blog anywhere?
posted by computech_apolloniajames at 4:46 AM on August 19

This is wonderful, Jeff! Love the photos! Did you publish the route on the blog anywhere?

Thanks! The original, planned route is at the end of the journal, but I abandoned that route when I got to South Dakota. I used Strava every day, though, and I just started adding each day's actual route.
posted by JeffL at 5:48 AM on August 19

shout-out to my grandmother in Stronghurst, IL (Day 35)
posted by roger ackroyd at 5:19 PM on August 19

So my next question: is it on Strava?
posted by computech_apolloniajames at 3:38 PM on August 21

shout-out to my grandmother in Stronghurst, IL (Day 35)

Stronghurst was a friendly little village.
posted by JeffL at 5:28 AM on August 22 [1 favorite]

« Older Living #Ferguson...   |   Between Seasons on the North H... Newer »

You are not currently logged in. Log in or create a new account to post comments.