Laser cut peacock mandala
January 30, 2019 6:38 AM   Subscribe

Laser cut peacock mandala
This is an art project I finished in October of last year. Details are all in the linked photo album.
Role: designer
posted by MillMan (19 comments total) 13 users marked this as a favorite
This project was posted to MetaFilter by lalex on January 30, 2019: "Adobe Illustrator is a horrible piece of....software"

This is so cool! Thank you so much for posting the process -- it was super-interesting!
posted by joyceanmachine at 10:05 AM on January 30

I am so glad you took the extra time to explain how this works. i was fascinated with the design but the process is also super interesting.
posted by jessamyn at 11:00 AM on January 30

Wow! The process shots are fascinating and beautiful! Glad you posted it here.
posted by ellieBOA at 11:39 AM on January 30

Yes, the process photos make the finished work seem even that much more—onscreen, at least; I bet seeing it in real space gives one an even more immediate sense of "wow". I hope you get to hang these somewhere, and not burn them when complete)!
posted by not_on_display at 12:49 PM on January 30

Yeah, it's definitely a step up to see it in person. Its appearance changes with angle obviously since it's 3D, and it reads different at different viewing distances as well.
posted by MillMan at 1:08 PM on January 30 [1 favorite]

posted to the blue
posted by lalex at 8:55 PM on January 30

THIS IS SO. FUCKING. INCREDIBLE... I want to be your friend.
posted by odinsdream at 11:26 PM on January 30

This is incredibly fucking cool.
posted by gauche at 6:40 AM on January 31

I want this in my house, lit gallery-style from multiple angles, with procedurally-generated music playing at all times.

We have a new Cricut machine in our house, and it's reviving long-dormant memories from my paste-up and prepress days of layer-stacking and trapping and color separations -- so this hit me at a time when I not only respond to its beauty, but also to the mechanical aspects of its design and growth.

GOT DAMN WHAT WHAT WHAT
posted by wenestvedt at 8:01 AM on January 31 [2 favorites]

Also what maker space did you use in MPLS? I'm in Twin Cities and would love to get involved with one.
posted by odinsdream at 10:25 AM on January 31 [1 favorite]

TC maker over Minneapolis / Seward: http://www.tcmaker.org/blog/

It's a great place, I have done some woodworking there as well.
posted by MillMan at 10:50 AM on January 31

Ooooooooo i'd love to get involved in that and contribute some tools. Who should I contact?
posted by odinsdream at 10:57 AM on January 31 [1 favorite]

They have an open house every Wednesday from 7-9pm (confirm on the "calendar" tab on their website). They'll give you a tour and you'll have a chance to sign up ($50 a month I believe) and they'll give you a key fob for the front door.
posted by MillMan at 1:07 PM on January 31 [1 favorite]

This is amazing! I can't imagine doing that may layers for block print (my current medium)

So very amazing. Great job.
posted by dreamling at 10:14 AM on February 1

Gorgeous! I’m not artistic at all and I admire your vision and dedication to this. It’s a beautiful piece!
posted by bookmammal at 12:42 PM on February 1

Love this! What product did you use and what was your process for gluing the layers?
posted by Bunglegirl at 12:56 PM on February 3

Stunning! Thank you for sharing your steps. Really turned out well.
posted by Nancy_LockIsLit_Palmer at 10:18 PM on February 3

Bunglegirl: Here is the paper I used. For gluing I used CA (superglue) - a drop or two at probably an average of 30 spots per layer. On the lower layers in particular I started gluing in the center as it was critical that the features in the center lined up first. The humidity swings over the several months I did the laser cutting made it tougher as the paper shrinks and expands a bit.
posted by MillMan at 8:11 AM on February 4

It looks great—I would have thought there would be puckering of the paper with a wet glue but it looks like you had no problems. I don't have central AC and struggle with humidity in anything paper in my house too.
posted by Bunglegirl at 6:38 PM on February 4

« Older Oscar Contest 2019 - with Freddie Monkcury!...   |   Exposé on pseudoscience public... Newer »

You are not currently logged in. Log in or create a new account to post comments.