The Whistling Monster
June 27, 2010 9:05 AM   Subscribe

The Whistling Monster
I teach music at an elementary school, and the students and I spent the year creating a long-form musical story, which became a CD. It's based on a folk tale from an Amazon tribe. All the music, singing and sounds are by the kids.

I humbly submit that it's better than the tambourine-and-off-key-unison-singing mix you might expect. The local paper did a writeup. You can buy it on iTunes, but you'll want to download the story and lyrics. Finally, a parent recorded this footage of the live performance that became track #7.
posted by argybarg (5 comments total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

From your writeup link:

James said he hopes to work on a similar project next year at Chautauqua — if he continues to be the school’s music teacher. That might not happen, however, because James is one of several teachers in the district who has received a pink slip: If the school district’s severe budget shortfall is not resolved, James’ job will go to another teacher with more seniority.

What. The. Hell.

This project is awesome and you are an awesome music teacher, light-years ahead of the boring tried-and-true types that litter most schools.

Who do I send an email to to protest your firing?
posted by item at 12:44 AM on June 28, 2010

Since that article there has been some local fund-raising and I may get my job back. In fact, I'd say I probably will. But I wouldn't mind making the larger point that a whole sector of teachers, the ones with 5 or less years' experience, are being wiped out across the country.
posted by argybarg at 1:41 PM on June 28, 2010

So where does the money from the disc go? College fund for the kids? :)

Also, this is the kind of stuff I want to do as an adult.
posted by cjorgensen at 9:24 PM on June 28, 2010

The money goes back to the school, with some of it set aside to do another CD next year.
posted by argybarg at 2:12 PM on June 29, 2010

Wow, this is amazing stuff. As a soon-to-be first year elementary music teacher (just got hired for 2010-2011!), I am completely inspired. Thanks for the great ideas!
posted by rossination at 10:20 PM on July 7, 2010

« Older Trivialities.org...   |   PayPal Upgrade Calculator... Newer »

You are not currently logged in. Log in or create a new account to post comments.